Gilbert is a great city that boasts a population of over 220,000 residents and the number of housing units is 74,907. There are 17,097 businesses in the city with women owning 29.5% of them. A Keep It Local Arizona Discount Card will offer savings galore for local residents from their favorite businesses.
If you have a favorite business in Gilbert that you’d like to see on the 2015 Keep It Local Arizona Discount Card let us know on Facebook, here.
According to Wikipedia, Gilbert is a town in Maricopa County, Arizona, located southeast of Phoenix, within the Phoenix metropolitan area. Once known as the “Hay Shipping Capital of the World”, Gilbert is currently the most populous incorporated town in the United States. Gilbert encompasses 76 square miles (197 km2) and has made a rapid transformation from an agriculture-based community to an economically diverse suburban center located in the southeast valley of the Phoenix metropolitan area. In the last two decades, Gilbert has grown at an extremely high rate, increasing in population from 5,717 in 1980 to 208,453 as of the 2010 census. In 2013, the estimated population of Gilbert was 229,972.
According to the Town’s 2014 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, the top employers in the city are:
Employer Ranking # of Employees
1. Gilbert Unified School District 3,649
2. Banner Health 2,219
3. Dignity Health 1,500
4. Town of Gilbert 1,297
5. B H Drywall 997
6. Fry’s Food and Drug 952
7. Go Daddy Software, Inc. 858
8. Hunter Contracting 848
9. Chandler Unified School District 565
10. Sam’s Club 548
Facts you might not know about Gilbert include:
- Fastest growing municipality in the United States from 1990-2003. U.S. Census Bureau.
- 5th Safest City in the United States according to BusinessInsider.com in 2011.
- Currently the 12th fastest growing municipality in the United States. U.S. Census Bureau – 2014.
- Ranked by CNN’s Money magazine in 2014 as one of the best places to live in the United States.
- One of the top 25 safest cities in the United States. According to FBI statistics that analyzes rates and trends for crime, Gilbert was designated as the safest city in Arizona for 2009.
- 34.5% of Gilbert residents hold a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Highest household median income in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area with a Population of 50,000+ U.S. Census Bureau 2005.
- Gilbert was the largest town in the United States with zero murders in 2005.(FBI)